How I Use the Number Evaluation Scale

Hello All. Today I thought I would use the free time we have due to the lack of school work we have been given to write another blog and I thought I would explain how I use the number scale in my reviews. I know that writing this review towards the beginning of the school year would have made way more sense but better late then never I guess.
I would first like to explain the difference between various methods of using the number scale. Some people like to use 10/10 as a way to show that a book is the best book they have ever read while others like to use 10/10 for the book they think is perfect. An example of this could be if you found someone and asked them what they thought the best book was and they said Harry Potter was the best book in their opinion. But, if you asked them if they thought it was perfect, they would probably say no. Do you see my point? Depending on what scale you are using, your score for a book might change. And although the change probably wouldn't be anything drastic, it would still be different. Personally, I use the score 10/10 to show that a book is perfect. Unfortunately, this means that I still have never read a 10/10 book.
So now that we have established what a 10/10 book is, let's establish what the others mean. 0/10 is when a book has no redeemable qualities. Like a 10/10 perfect book, I have yet to read a 0/10 book because most books I have read have at least one good thing about them or at least one thing that isn't horrible. 1/10, as you can probably guess, is just a little better and has like one redeemable quality whether that be a single line of dialogue or another something small. 2/10 is where the book has a big factor that is alright or isn't horrible, but the rest of it is pretty bad. 3/10 is basically the same as 2/10 but that thing keeping it from being a 1/10 plays a slightly bigger role and is focused on a little bit more. 4/10 is where for me people start to call the books mediocre. This is usually a sequel or just a book that could have been good but is really boring because the writer wasn't able to make some big aspect of their story compelling enough. 5/10 is where books start becoming okay and readable. These are books that do an alright job. However, I have realized that I am a bit less generous when it comes to the number score. So 5/10 for me is like a 6/10 or even a 7/10 book for most of you guys. 6/10 for me is where a book isn't actually too bad, but it still isn't quite good, somewhere in between. 7/10 is where a book finally gets out of the bad completely and becomes good. These are books that are fun but maybe not the best. But if you ask, me fun is the most important aspect of a book so these books are usually pretty impressive. 8/10 for me is where most people would give a book a 9/10 or a 9.5/10. These books are really great. These are books that you should be able to reread without being bored with a few exceptions. 9/10 books are amazing, spectacular, whatever you want to call it. These are books that have unique and compelling ideas that they present to the reader in an even more unique and compelling way. These are books that most everyone will enjoy no matter what genre (except for maybe horror or romance.) 
Thanks for reading my odd blog post and I hope you enjoyed it at least a little or got something from it. Again, I know this would have made a lot more sense to post earlier in they year so my bad I guess. Also I have posted two days in a row so I'll probably turn this into Blog Week 2 but I'm not for sure yet. Anyways, have a good one.

Comments

  1. Interesting post! I think your interpretation of the number scale really shows how it's hard for someone to judge a book by just assigning it a number, and how really thorough analysis is needed to formulate an opinion of how good a book really is. I would've liked it if you had included some more qualities that you see in books that you enjoy that contribute to your rating of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to a good, great, amazing whatever you want to call it book, all factors come into play. For me, if a book has one messed up thing, like bad pacing, it will almost always be a 7/10 or lower with a few rare exceptions. A 9/10 book needs to have great characters, plot, pacing, presentation, action, emotion, and needs to remain interesting t'il the end. Basically, if a book has a slip up for me that could be considered anything more than minor, its not gonna be a 9/10 unless everything else is REALLY REALLY GOOD. Like I said in the post, I am not as generous with my score as most when it comes to the 7/10-9/10 range which also plays a big role in my scoring.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Crappy Villains That We See Too Often in Literature (Post 6 of Blog Week 2)(Quickie)

What genre is 2020?

Ranking All the Genres I Can Think Of (Last Post of Blog Week 2) (Quickie)