The Hunger Games Review by Cameron McGill

Hello reader, today I am going to be reviewing the Hunger Games written by Suzanne Collins in 2008. Before I begin, this review will have a few spoilers regarding the book's plot but the spoilers will be minimal and they shouldn't be enough to ruin the book. Now that I have warned you, let's start the review.
The Hunger Games is a book about a girl named Katniss Everdeen who lives in the continent of Panem with her mother and sister. Every year, the leaders of Panem or "the capitol" choose twenty four people to fight to the death in an arena filled with an artifical landscape. Katniss is chosen to compete in the games and immediately begins preparing for the games with a series of interviews and training sessions When the games begin Katniss struggles to fight off wildlife, hunger, thirst, and other contestants. I would say more about the book's plot but all of it is really good and I want to ruin as few scenes as possible
I give this book a 9.5/10 because it has a creative plot, unique characters, exciting action, and a heartbreaking scene or two that all add up to very fun read. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy intense and exciting action because that makes up a large portion of the book and is definitely one of the best aspects of the book. If you do end up reading this book, don't give up on it too quickly or skim the first few ten or so chapters. At first it may seem like a waste of time, it is full of information that you are going to need to understand the full book and when you finish the book you learn to appreciate the first few chapters more than you might think. Thank you for reading my review, and I'll be sure to let you know what I think of the second book when its my turn to post again.

Comments

  1. One of the most common criticisms I hear about the Hunger Games is how it gets off to a very slow start. But to you point, the information the reader gleans in those chapters elevated the rest of a book and contributes to a superb reading experience. You really seemed to like the book, but I wonder where it missed on the last 0.5 of score in your reading. Did the first few dense, but admittedly slow, chapters do that? I would love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about finishing the Hunger Games and I might have to after reading this. Now knowing that the pacing of the book will eventually speed up is somewhat of a motivation for me to finish the Hunger Games. I'm curious if you think Collins could have condensed the first slow chapters while still retaining enough information to understand the story? Anyways, nice job on the review and I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this review, I really find that you encourage the reader to read more and to finish the series. I stopped reading Hunger Games at book 1, but I might give it another shot after reading your review. I'm curious on the plot and what big events happen to lead to the climax. I think your actual review of the book is very descriptive, and I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your review, I agree that the Hunger Games had a slow start but became a very fast-paced, suspenseful read. I like how descriptive you were and how you made the book's later events seem to have a lot of potential to be exciting. If I hadn't already finished the Hunger Games, I might have been motivated to try it after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read the Hunger Games before and I definitely agree with the fact that the book starts of slow but in the end it is worth it. I like that you got straight to the point in your review, it was clear and easy to follow. You did a good job at describing Katniss and her struggles. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the Hunger Games quite a few years ago, and I do remember struggling to keep reading for the beginning of the book, but it did quickly pick up and I remember liking most of the book. Your positive review of the book might inspire me to read the rest of the story. I do, however, wish you went into more detail about analyzing the plot or the characters and explaining where such a good rating of 9.5/10 comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All books have that "slow" part, and sometimes that ruins them. However, I believe that you have made a good argument for why Hunger Games is still an amazing book regardless of the slow part. I agree that the action makes the book so much more interesting, but something else that interests me about Hunger Games is the setting. I loved the concept of state sponsored murder (Legend by Marie Lu), and reading your review has reminded me that I should totally read it again, which I will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hunger Games is a unique book, first of all for the creativity of its plot, but like you said, it seems to start off slowly. I find a lot of books do that, but the Hunger Games is one of those books that make it worth the read in the end. The action and intense aspects keep people engaged, and I am glad you mentioned that the book has those components. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Crappy Villains That We See Too Often in Literature (Post 6 of Blog Week 2)(Quickie)

What genre is 2020?

Ranking All the Genres I Can Think Of (Last Post of Blog Week 2) (Quickie)