Divergent: Book vs. Movie


Reviewer: Vraj Patel
SPOILER WARNING

I always wanted to read Divergent (2011) by Veronica Roth, but I never got around to actually reading it. So, I decided to check it out a couple weeks ago. I read the book, but when I thought about what I could do for the blog (just a book review is pretty boring, ya know), an idea suddenly came to me. What if I watched the movie version and then compared the two? So, this past spring break, I watched the movie Divergent (2014). Here are my thoughts:

Summary first, though (once again, there are spoilers):
Beatrice Prior lives in a futuristic Chicago, where the people are split into 5 factions: Amity, the peaceful, Erudite, the smart ones, Candor, the truth-tellers, Dauntless, the brave, and Abnegation, the selfless. However, not all of these factions live in harmony. For example, there is growing tension between the Erudite and Abnegation factions. When children turn 16, they take an aptitude test that tells them what faction they belong in. The results clearly state that a specific person is best suited for a specific faction, but one does not have to choose the faction they receive in the test. Beatrice is born in Abnegation. She lives a simple life with her family. However, when it is time for her aptitude test, her results come in inconclusive. She is Divergent (there isn't just one faction she fits into). Divergents are dangerous to society, so she must hide this from everyone. Beatrice ends up choosing Dauntless as her new faction.

What Divergent Faction Are You? | Divergent factions, Divergent ...Dauntless training is tough. The initiates learn to fight, shoot guns, jump out of trains, and more. Beatrice (who now goes by Tris), struggles to keep up with the rest of the initiates. She makes some new friends but also some enemies. She also starts to catch feelings for one of her trainers, Four. She slowly gets better in her training, but her secret still exists deep in her mind. The training calls for a few simulations in which the initiate experiences their fears and has to overcome them. Tris actually broke out of her simulation, which is not usual. Four, who was watching this all happen, realizes Tris is Divergent (only they can break out of simulations and things like that). Four keeps her secret safe. Tris eventually passes initiation. The next day, however, everybody is acting weird, in a mechanical fashion. All except for Tris and Four. They both pretend to act like everyone else. Tris realizes she isn't acting like the others because she's Divergent, and Four is as well. All of the Dauntless are taken to the Abnegation residences and begin killing innocent people. Eventually, the leaders of Dauntless (who are not acting weird) catch Tris and Four being like normal people and take them to the Erudite leader, Jeanine. She is the one who created the aptitude test and hates Divergents. She had been conspiring with the Dauntless leaders to destroy the Abnegation faction (remember, the two factions had some growing tension). Tris and Four get separated. Four receives this serum that causes him to turn on Tris, and Tris is taken to be killed. However, Tris is saved by her mother, who she learns was also a Divergent (born in Dauntless). Tris goes to save Four from the Erudite. She succeeds, and they ride off on a train far from everyone.

I found a few differences between the book and the movie. For one, the way the movie portrays the Dauntless compound was different. While reading the book, I imagined the compound to be a dark and gloomy place with no natural sunlight. However, the movie displays it to be more like a place built into a ravine in Minecraft (I don't know a better way to describe it). It also looks kind of boring. This difference was more of my imagination, but I think in this scenario, the book has a better portrayal of the compound, as it allows the reader to imagine the place however they want.

Divergent (film) - WikipediaWhile reading the book, I also forgot that the story took place in the future where there are more technological advancements. I only realized this when watching the movie, as it shows futuristic computers and train systems. This is a plus of the movie in my opinion.

Another difference was in the scene after Tris and Four are taken to Jeanine. In the book, once Four gets injected with the serum, Tris is taken to a tank full of water where she is expected to drown. Tris' mother saves her from the tank. However, in the movie, Tris is surrounded by Dauntless soldiers holding guns up to her face out in the open, and her mother saves her from being shot. I think this scene was better in the book, as it allowed Tris' mother to show off her skills more (she had to kill all of the tank guards, and then open the tank somehow, that takes a lot of work).

The final difference was in the endings, which were not the same. The book ends with Tris going to save Four, who was taken to the Dauntless control room. Tris helps Four get over the serum, and he shuts down the attack on Abnegation. The movie, however, ends with Tris making Jeanine shut everything down. This was a big change, but it is one that I do understand, as the movie version makes the scene seem much bigger and gives a final confrontation between the protagonist and antagonist.

So that was my review/comparison. In my opinion, the book version of Divergent was better, but the movie is not too far behind. What do you guys think?

Comments

  1. Awesome job! This is the first movie vs. book review I've seen, and I think you did a great job comparing the two and talking about the plusses and minuses of both. Since I have not watched the movie yet, I can't say which version was better, but I am a huge fan of the book. I read it a couple of years ago, and it is still one of my favorite books to date. I'm glad to hear that the movie kept most things pretty consistent with the book and even added some extra effects to make it better at some parts. I will keep your thoughts on the movie in mind, and I just might watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Divergent a few months ago, and I remember enjoying it since it had a pretty good plot. Your summary was really good since it captured basically everything that happened in the novel. Seeing the image that you included of each of the five factions made me wonder how Veronica Roth came up with each faction. Honesty, knowledge, courage, peacefulness, and selfness seem to be kind of subjective but it made the story work so I guess it doesn't really matter. I liked how you compared Divergent (the book) to Divergent (the movie) since it made your review stand out and was also interesting to read about. Movies are almost never as good as books, but I'm glad that this movie was adaptation wasn't that far off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great review! I appreciate how in depth you went with comparing and contrasting the differences between Divergent and its film adaptation. Your summary of the novel is clear and extensive, and allows any readers who maybe don't completely remember the plot of Divergent, a refresher. I agree with you when you say that although Divergent was better than its movie counterpart, the movie does give the novel justice. I would warn, however, that as the movies continue, they continue to diverge (lol) from the novels, to the point that they completely change the ending of the third and final book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the Divergent movie a year or so ago, so it was nice to see some of the things that I missed that were in the book. Your summary gives a good understanding of the plot with an appropriate spoiler warning. Now that you said the movie is the lesser version, I'm still not going to read the book because the story wasn't that interesting and it's already spoiled. Many bolognas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Crappy Villains That We See Too Often in Literature (Post 6 of Blog Week 2)(Quickie)

What genre is 2020?

Ranking All the Genres I Can Think Of (Last Post of Blog Week 2) (Quickie)