The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Review by Cameron McGill

Hello reader, today I, Cameron McGill will be reviewing The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the second book in the Hunger Games Series and continues to follow the story of Katniss Everdeen almost a year after the events of the first book. But before I launch into the full review, I would like to quickly mention that there will be spoilers in this review for both this book and the first book so as usual if you don't want the plot ruined stop reading or toughen up and learn to face your problems head on. Your choice.
As I said earlier, the book starts off a little under a year after where the first novel left off with Katniss still recovering from the trauma of the last hunger games in the victor's village. Shortly after the novel begins, it is announced that Katniss and other victors from previous years will compete again in the 75th Hunger Games. This is the first part of the novel where we start to see a lot of repetition and the first ten chapters are pretty similar to those of the first novel. However, once Katniss actually enters the arena things become less repetitive and more interesting. I'd say the main reason Katniss being in the arena again makes the last half of the book more interesting than the first half is the new characters introduced in the arena.
Overall, I'd say this is an okay book and I'd give it a 6.9/10. It's still a fun read but it can be repetitive at times and the first ten chapters are a bit of an annoyance to read due to their lack of new ideas to keep the reader interested. But once you get past this, there is still some fun moments left in the novel to keep it interesting. My last complaint is that there are no heart wrenching moments like the death of Rue in the last book. So in summary, not the worst, but not great. However, I would still give this book a read if you enjoyed the first novel in the series. Thanks for reading, and I'll probably be reviewing the third and final book, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay next if it isn't too repetitive and I can actually have a review longer than a few sentences. (Or what if I decide to review a book about a fox who's abandoned because some kid's lazy grandpa won't take care of him? Guess you'll just have to wait and see.)

Comments

  1. I read Catching Fire a few years ago and was also disappointed by the repetition of the previous book. The Hunger Games was unique and left me wanting to read the next book. However, like you said, Catching Fire is mostly just a slightly altered version of the original novel. I was also annoyed by how little the new characters were introduced. Additionally, I was curious about what specific parts you liked/disliked about the arena, and how you would have changed it to be more interesting. Overall, your review was concise and gave a good overview of Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Crappy Villains That We See Too Often in Literature (Post 6 of Blog Week 2)(Quickie)

What genre is 2020?

Ranking All the Genres I Can Think Of (Last Post of Blog Week 2) (Quickie)